Friday, April 22, 2011

Thoughts on Convention & Future of GOP

The 2011 Organizing Convention is fast approaching. Now is when delegates start taking a deeper look at the candidates for party officers and the State Central Committee.

As the out-going Chair, I have a unique perspective on issues and many of these candidates. I hope you will read this post so you will be better informed about why I am running for the SCC and feel free to call me to hear how I stand on the candidates. My other recent posts will give you a chance to understand where I stand on other topics.

The Republican Party is the best vehicle to ensure that America remain morally strong and economically prosperous. I have been involved in the GOP since 1991 and believe that through active participation we can protect our Liberty. I got involved in the GOP because our principles are the path to prosperity and strength. When interviewing other candidates, make sure you ask them why they are involved because these past two years I have seen many that don’t share this view. I am concerned with the attitude that is causing the Party to be angry and full of infighting.

We have great days ahead of us but this path is not sure and vision and vigilance is required.

I have been a fighter for conservative principles all my life. I don’t back down from advocating for adherence to Constitutional principles and protection of the family. But not all share these ideals and so I will fight everyday to ensure a brighter future for our children.

That is why I want to continue to serve as a member of the SCC. Thank you for your consideration. If any want to learn more please call me directly 801-404-8635. I also have relevant insight into all the races that I am happy to share so call anytime.

Thank you for the opportunity to serve as chair these past two years and I appreciate all you do.

Taylor Oldroyd

Responsibility of SCC:

The SCC is similar to our county central committee and members need to be prepared to advocate for our platform. I take this responsibility very serious and that is why I have attended the meetings and never passed up an opportunity to protect the process and our platform.

One of my heroes is Ezra Taft Benson and he said we should never be afraid to advocate for conservative principles because of fear of criticism. I agree.

IRV:

I do not support IRV as a general rule. I trust a system that allows for educating the delegates and an IRV limits the ability to learn in-between rounds of voting. It is possible with an IRV method that the person with an extreme voice can get elected without a majority. For example, with four candidates running and three strong candidates and one extreme candidate that the three cancel out each other and the one without the majority support can win by default.

Ex-officio delegates:

I strongly believe that when we elect our Representatives that we ask them to perform a variety of functions and one of these is to be a delegate. Most Ex-officio delegates hold much institutional knowledge and it would be a disservice to the party to widen the gap of accountability. In fact, we need to close the gap not widen it. We can’t do that by driving a wedge between the grassroots and the officials.

The argument is a veiled attempt to force a wedge between our elected officials and party members and the result will be a weaker party and eventually elected Democrats. If you don’t believe me then look at the history of Salt Lake County; they have been through this and the proof is clear.

Challenges of the GOP:

I believe the greatest threat to the GOP and this nation is the apathy and complacency of the people. I am also worried that we are turning into a party of “angry” individuals instead of maintaining our core strength as united conservatives with a clear message for prosperity and moral strength.

We are strong when we stand together and our voices must be heard to make a difference. But analyze the significant challenges I faced during my term and you can see a real and growing threat to our party.

Rather than use proven processes accepted in Robert Rules and common sense, some try to sue and complain their way into power. They would rather personally attack others leading to their disenfranchisement and inactivity so that their voice is louder, than articulate a vision. I see this tactic used by enemies of conservative principles. Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity, and Rush talk about this all day so you don’t need to hear it from me but our values are under attack at home and abroad and we must vigilantly defend the process of rules and laws.

That is why I reject the law suit and those defending this approach.

It has been partnership and cooperation that has forged this nation and the freedoms we enjoy. Utah has become strong this way and the US will once again return to greatness through partnership and articulating our vision and not through fighting and other militant self-righteous tactics.

No comments:

Post a Comment